1) Who is my counselor and how do I see him/her?

Counselors are generally assigned alphabetically, based on the student's surname. However, if the student is involved in special programs such as IB, Careers, etc. the student may be assigned to a counselor specializing in those areas. Counselor alphabetical assignments are listed on the school district calendar and under the "Counselor" tab on this website. A student's counselor name also appears on the back-to-school correspondence and on report cards. If you would like to meet with your counselor, please call for an appointment or stop in to the Guidance Department office on the first floor, just off the Student Commons.

2) If I am struggling in a class, what can I do?


The first thing to do is talk to your teacher, who is the best person to make recommendations for their specific class. If the problem continues, or if you aren't able to make progress this way, please see your guidance counselor ASAP. Don't wait until you are failing the class to seek help!

3) What kind of academic help/tutoring is available?

There are numerous resources available at BHS to help you become successful. Speak to your guidance counselor, who can provide you with various information on resources such as tutoring, Upward Bound, Liberty Partnership, Promise Zone, online study resources, etc.
4) When should a student take the PSAT, SAT or ACT exam(s)?


The following recommendation comes from the Princeton Review: Many juniors take the PSAT in October followed by the SAT in the winter or spring. Do you have to take the SAT in your junior year? No, but it is generally a good idea because it leaves you plenty of time for a second try if you're not happy with your score. You don't want to put the SAT off until your senior year, while you're also working on your college applications.

5) How do I obtain my working papers?

To get an employment certificate, or "working papers," go to the Transportation Office at 98 Oak Street. You will need to be accompanied by a parent, and you need to bring your birth certificate, Social Security card, and proof of a physical examination done within the past 12 months. For more information about working papers and the labor laws for minors, visit the NYS Department of Labor website at http:///www.labor.state.ny.us/workerprotection/laborstandards/workprot/wphmpg.shtm

6) How many credits are required to graduate?

In New York State, 22 credits are required in order to graduate from high school. If you are wondering how many credits you currently have, or are worried about not having enough credits to graduate, please see your guidance counselor.

7) How do I obtain my high school transcript?

You can request your transcript y contacting Mrs. Donna Tucker in room A110 or (607) 762-8240. If you have questions about your transcript, or feel there is a discrepancy, please see your guidance counselor.

8) How do I go about getting a recommendation for college?

Most colleges will require a letter of recommendation from your high school, which you can request from your guidance counselor. Since the counselors try to make theses letters as personal and relevant as possible, please allow them adequate time -- two weeks ideally -- to prepare yours.